Job title: Education & Outreach Officer
Salary: £10,800 per annum (pro rata of £21k)
Location: Goodwick, Pembrokeshire (occasional homeworking is possible but you will be mostly working from our Ocean Lab base in Goodwick).
Duration: This is a fixed term contract to March 2023 (the position may be extended subject to funding).
Hours: 18 hours per week (hours flexible across a number of days). Occasional weekend work and travel.
Closing date: 02 May 2022
Start date: May/June 2022
Fantastic opportunity to work with Sea Trust in Pembrokeshire. Sea Trust Wales is a registered charity working to better understand and protect local marine wildlife and raise awareness within the local community, through our marine wildlife surveys, our Sea Môr aquarium and community events. We need an Education & Outreach Officer for our new FINtastic Fauna project.
FINtastic Fauna aims to bring together nature, conservation, volunteering and communities. Our aims are to:
- Provide opportunities for everyone to get involved with the conservation of their local wildlife, including groups disconnected from nature.
- Raise awareness of marine life, promoting positive local action and attitudes towards it.
- Gain a better understanding of our marine environment and its impact on the natural world.
You will work alongside the Project Officer and Project Manager to promote the project and Pembrokeshire’s marine wildlife. You will be creative and have experience working within environmental education. You will design and deliver educational activities, mainly for primary school children. Some knowledge of the national curriculum will be beneficial. This role will involve travelling to the local schools and other community venues to deliver activities; therefore, you will need your own transport. The role will include some weekend work.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY TASKS
Initially the duties of the Education & Outreach Officer will be:
- Design and deliver educational activities to promote Pembrokeshire’s marine wildlife
- Design marine wildlife educational displays for our small aquarium exhibition
- Design and disseminate promotional material about Pembrokeshire’s marine wildlife
- Development and implementation of marketing and publicity programme e.g. website development, social media
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
It is essential that you have:
- Experience of designing and delivering environmental education activities for a range of settings, including in school and outdoor learning
- Excellent communication skills and ability to engage and inspire participation in a variety of audiences
- Interest & enthusiasm for marine wildlife.
- Experience using design software to create educational/promotional resources e.g. Canva
- Ability to work independently and on own initiative, as well as ability to work under direction & collaboratively
- Good interpersonal, team working and facilitation skills – to develop effective working relationships with schools and other community organisations
- DBS certification or willingness to undertake one
- Full car driving licence and the use of a suitable vehicle for work.
It is desirable that you have:
- Degree in marine biology, environmental science or a teaching qualification
- Fluency in written and spoken Welsh
- Experience of promoting educational activities e.g. via websites and social media
- Confident with basic website editing and creating social media posts
To apply, please submit a recent CV and a covering letter outlining how you meet the required skills, knowledge and experience. Feel free to attach examples of educational materials that you have designed. Send your application to Anna Elliott at email@example.com. Closing date 02 May 2022. You must be available for an interview between 9th -12th May and ideally be available to start in late May/June. If you would like further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. This role is subject to an Enhanced DBS check.
This project is supported by Enhancing Pembrokeshire Fund, The Peoples Postcode Lottery; Postcode Community Trust, WCVA Landfill Disposal Tax Communities scheme and the Idris and Margaret Jones Trust.